History of Cathedral House
According to recent archealogical research Cathedral House stands on the site of the Saxon market place. After the Cathedral was built (1080 -1200) the land was within the monastery precincts and part of the grounds surrounding The Chantry, and remained so until 1850, when the property was sold to Dr. Muriel.
The house itself was built for Dr. Muriel’s son*, also a Doctor. Unfortunately he died prematurely and it went into the ownership of George Comins, an auctioneer, who lived in the house and operated his business from the premises. It remained in the Comins family for over a hundred and twenty years.
The proportions of the house are singularly Georgian and belie its spacious interior. Of particular note is its fine Oriel window and elegant staircase with a very fine winding balustrade.
*see plaque in the Cathedral.
Founded as a monastery in 673, parts of the present building date from 1081. Recently voted in The Times as 'one of the top 20 must see buildings in the UK' it is still the only UK building listed as 'one of the seven medieval wonders of the world'.